Saturday, June 2, 2007

Welcome to my blog

I decided to do a blog after posting a few times on the Our Sports Central GBL site (link to the right) and enjoying the chance to write about our home team. So why a blog about our local independent baseball team? Two reasons:

1. I believe in the mission statement of the GBL: Every child deserves the opportunity to grow up watching professional baseball.

2. I live in a professional sports wasteland: Reno, NV. For a city that has almost a quarter of a million people, we have exactly zero pro sports franchises...no major leagues, no arena football, no minor hockey, no affiliated minor baseball. But we do have the Silver Sox. And I for one love baseball and love having a home team. I plan to support them and to do my small part in making sure they are part of our commuity for years to come.

So what GBL experience do I have. As bad as it sounds, I have only attended one game in each of the previous seasons. I have followed the league via the web extensively but I have not seen a lot of baseball. I drove to Chico in 2005 (about 3 hours from Reno) to see Rickey Henderson and his San Diego Surf Dawgs take on the Chico Outlaws. And in 2006, I actually lived in Washington DC but I made the time to fly back for the first ever Silver Sox game.

This year will be different. I work on the campus of the University of Nevada Reno and am about a 5 minute walk from Peccole Park where the Sox play. It will be a fun summer and I plan to see as many Sox games as possible--or perhaps as many as my family will allow :)

So expect a couple of posts a week or so. I will definitely post about every game I go to but I will also put up other posts as I think about them. I'd love to hear your thoughts also as to what you want to see on this site.

Thanks again for reading.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thank you for starting this blog. I look forward to reading your posts!